Saturday, March 13, 2010

Meme & Grace


Grace and I are visiting Nanny and Meme this weekend. My grandmother is so special to me. I lived with my grandparents and mom from the time I was 3 until I left for college. She did all kinds of wonderful, special things for me growing up. I'll never forget the time she bought me tap shoes, not because I was taking dance lessons, but just because I wanted to know what it was like to tap dance on the front porch.

She was diagnosed with Dementia (Alzheimers) in 2002. She has no idea who Grace is,"who's house" she is in, or that her husband of over 50 years is gone. However, one thing that she has not forgotten is...

... how to love.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Laurie, Thank you for sharing. I just left a message on your phone although you probably won't understand what I said because I was sobbing! My mother and I lived with my "Maga" for a while and loved her dearly. Seeing your grandmother's hand on Grace reminds me how much I wish Maga could have known my girls. Cherish this time.

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

She could never forget you. Love, Mom